For the paint, we created an egg yolk binder.
- Separate the yolk from egg white.
- Gently place egg yolk on paper towel.
- Carefully roll it around, drying off the membrane, until all egg white is gone.
- Using thumb and first two fingers, very gently pick up yolk and hold over container.
- With a small sharp object, pierce the bottom of the yolk and squeeze out contents. Discard empty membrane.
- Add two teaspoons of water for each yolk and stir.
Binder is now ready to be mixed into paint and used!
The recipe is not as easy as it sounds. Keeping the membrane from bursting is the greatest challenge. It is particularly vulnerable as you separate the yolk from the egg whites, as well as when you are drying off the egg whites from the membrane using a paper towel.
Two eggs were set aside for this process and produced more binder than needed for illuminating two pages.